With over 130 years of tradition, the former Pastificio Selmi has expanded into the manufacture of products throughout its history.
The first factory.
On August 16, 1887, at just 25 years old, Adolpho Selmi, an Italian immigrant, landed at the Port of Santos (SP) and, with the dream of spreading the gastronomic tradition of his country, founded a small pasta factory in Campinas, a city that he chose. In this way the Pasta Factory Adolpho Selmi was created, with daily production that fit in a basket, marketed by the streets of the city, having as main clients their countrymen, who were delighted with the fresh masses that resembled aromas and flavors of the mother earth.
At the end of the 19th century, Adolpho Selmi contracted a society with his countryman Hugo Gallo, name that gave rise to the brand of pasta. At first, the preparation of the pastas was done in the manual press. After this stage, the pastas began to be produced by marombas and also by animal traction. Years later, the production was made by means of a large boiler that fed a locomotive (steam engine used to move heavy loads).
And, finally, electricity boosted production, which gained momentum with the use of electrical masts imported from Italy.
With the arrival of the electrical network facilities in Campinas, it was possible to develop the industries of the region, and with Selmi it was no different. The production was expanded with the Italian import of machines for making pasta.
From Italy to Brasil.
With a definitive residence in Brazil, in 1921 Adolpho Selmi ended his business in Italy and definitively resumed the direction of the factory, along with his eldest sons and first-born son, Comendador Aladino, who led the Pastificio during his father’s absence. At that time, pasta Galo was already almost mandatory presence at the tables of Italian immigrants who continued to arrive in the country.
The scenario favored the growth of the company and Aladino Selmi, with an even more promising market vision, became professional in accounting.
The semolina pasta.
In 1931, the factory changed its address to Francisco Teodoro Street. Three years later (1934), the first semolina pasta were launched by Selmi. The years passed, Aladino continued to lead the company and later had the collaboration of his sons Renato, Luciana and Regina for the management of the company.
The factory changes its address and counts on the collaboration of the children of Aladdin. In addition, a new product is launched: the semolina pasta.
Beginning of the Aladino era.
In 1939, to improve production, new machines were imported from Italy, making consumption extrapolate the region of Campinas, consolidating the company in the regional market. In this scenario, Aladino Selmi strengthened economically, bought the part of the father and brothers and became the owner of the company in partnership with his son Renato Selmi, who at 18 was already familiar with the entire manufacturing process, thanks to the former position of auxiliary of production.
With the new business name Pastifício Selmi S / A, entrepreneurs start building a new building, designed to house production, administration and a mill.
Pastificio Selmi S/A.
With a visionary spirit, Aladino Selmi founded the Bank City of Campinas and, through the sale of shares, bought a mill to benefit the grains of wheat. The new investment made possible the company’s expansion, greater quality and agility to production, and in 1956, with limited space, the new headquarters of the factory began to be built on Mirandópolis Avenue, Campinas, the same year that the new corporate name was created: Pastificio Selmi S/A, which prevails to this day. In 1962, the company started to operate in the new address and the acquisition of the mill allowed the production of all the flour necessary for the production of pasta.
New Plant: Londrina.
Furthermore in the 1960s, a new manufacturing plant was inaugurated in Londrina / PR, strategically located to meet demand and facilitate distribution in the South.
The unit was directed exclusively to the manufacture of pasta such as spaghetti, nest, pena and other cuts.
Renata, the most beloved of Brazil.
In 1970 wheat flour Renata was launched, “the most beloved of Brazil”, name chosen by Renato Selmi to honor her daughter. Years earlier, Ulysses Guimarães (then Minister of Industry and Commerce) stated that Selmi Pastificio was among the country’s leading companies.
Recognitions continued and, in the town of Pistoia, Tuscany, the Pastificio Selmi received gold medal and diploma of honor to an international exhibition.
A new direction.
In 1980, with the direction of the company assumed by Renato Selmi and his children, experience, competence and entrepreneurship became the marks of the new management. At this time, besides Campinas and Londrina, the teams also worked in the markets of São Paulo, Belo Horizonte, Rio de Janeiro and the interior of São Paulo. Nine years later, Pastificio Selmi received another international recognition for the excellence of its products: trophy at the 22nd International Food and Beverage Award in Dusseldorf, Germany.
The first hard grain pasta made in the country.
In the 1990s, the importation of hard grain mass began to gain importance day after day and, in order to compete with foreign brands, the Selmi Group made large investments in the factories of Campinas and Londrina. Renata Tricolori, for consumers of natural products, and Renata Superiore, the first hard-grain pasta manufactured in Brazil, were launched.
At the end of the century, the Group had the first place in sales of pasta in Brazil and, in 2000, inaugurated the Sumaré factory complex, which nine years later housed the new biscuit factory. It was in this unit that began to make the mixture for cake Renata and the cookie Renata in individual portion.
Turning fully into a new address, the modern spaghetti production line is installed with a capacity of 4.5 tons per hour. There is also the new Renata Cake, to extend the range of Selmi products.
New board and new achievements.
In 2005, after the death of Renato Selmi, businessman Belarmino of the Ascension Marta Júnior joined Ricardo Selmi. The new board of directors had the mission of migrating the company from pastry to food production, launching new categories such as cookies, cakes and other products.
Renata Wheat Flour is voted the best in the market by the Brazilian Association of Consumer Protection (PROTESTE).
The biscuit manufacturing complex is launched at the Sumaré manufacturing plant, following the sector’s innovations. Successor of Renato Selmi, his son Ricardo assumed the presidency of the Group.
In 2014 was inaugurated the unit of Rolândia, directed exclusively to production of pasta..
130 years of success.
With all these achievements, always launching new products and increasing the range of consumer offerings according to the evolution of the market, Selmi reaches 130 years. With the vigor and wisdom of those who know – and much – the art of transforming wheat into products that appeal to palates from the simplest to the most sophisticated, lives in constant evolution, dialoguing with its consumers and showing that it is a traditional but dynamic group , which evolves and accompanies new trends, being thus a major reference in the food sector.